Hello, beauties! I absolutely LOVE healthy, glowing skin. Every single Instagram girl has that poppin’ glow that we all are looking to achieve. Years ago, highlighter was barely a thing for the everyday girl. Whenever a new highlighter comes out, I HAVE to get it. So how exactly do I make my cheekbones shine like the top of the Chrysler building — (major props if you got that reference!)
I’m going to show you today how I achieve the Instagram glow that everyone wants! Keep reading on to see how I do it.
Disclaimer: If you click on the links below and purchase anything, I may (or may not) receive a small bit of commission. This does not persuade my review or recommendation of any product listed on my blog. These are genuinely products I love and use regularly.
First things first…Glowing skin starts with skincare!
Glowing skin cannot happen if you don’t have the skincare to back it up. In order to achieve the glow we are looking for, it’s important to have skincare to support that. Even if you’re an oily girl, moisturizer is vital to accomplish this look. I’m not gonna lie, I’m not the perfect vision of healthy skin. I sometimes forget to take my makeup off before bed, and I don’t always exfoliate as much as I should. However, I do what I can when I can. My favorite skincare products for helping to promote glowy skin are below! Click on the links to purchase if you would like.
What I use:
- Rejuvinique Oil by Monat: Yes, its a hair oil, and yes, it’s on the pricier side. But it’s totally worth it. I use this on my face once a day, usually at night. I always wake up with the most glowing and radiant skin without highlighter! Not only does my skin look healthy, but it takes away any redness and irritation. This oil can help with acne, scarring, burning, and any other ailment you have. However, it’s also amazing in your hair! I have tried a few different oils throughout the years, and this one is by far my favorite oil to use on my skin. It’s thin enough to where it doesn’t clog your pores, but it’s thick enough to hydrate and refresh the skin.
- Cup o Coffee Face and Body Mask by LUSH: Caffeine is HUGE to accomplish a glowing complexion, and this mask is packed with it. I use this every single day in the shower to help exfoliate my skin. The mask is packed with clay and coffee beans to help reinvigorate the skin, and leave it feeling smooth and flawless. I’ve gone through tubs and tubs of this stuff, and I have no plans on stopping anytime soon! A must have for anyone who wants smooth and glowing skin.
- e.l.f. Daily Hydration Moisturizer: This moisturizer is a game changer! Super lightweight, so even the oiliest of girls will feel hydrated without being greasy. I use this as my everyday moisturizer in the morning, and my skin always feels perfectly moisturized. If you’re an oily girl who is scared to try a moisturizer, this is the perfect introduction to them!
Another sidenote: I’ve heard a lot of great things about Rodan & Fields, especially for achieving the glowy look. I would love to try it, but ya girl is on a college girl budget 😉
Achieving a glow with makeup
- L’Oreal Magic Lumi Primer: Your first step to ANY look should always be primer! I was originally turned onto this primer by other beauty bloggers, and I’m so glad I was! This primer gives the perfect all over glow without being too oily or greasy. No matter what foundation I put over this, the primer always helps to keep it on & the glow still shines through!
- Cover FX Enhancer Drops in Celestial: I had used these quite a bit when they first came out, but only ever had small samples. I recently bought the full size, and it brought back my absolute LOVE for this product! The Cover FX Enhancer drops come in a variety of colors, and help to give the most beaming glow you’ve ever seen. My number one secret to a healthy, luminous glow is using a liquid highlighter before and after applying foundation! This will give your skin that lit from within glow, and it will amplify any powder highlighter you apply over it. If you like that true wet highlighted look, you NEED these highlight drops.
- L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation: If I ever want to glow without looking greasy, I always use this foundation! Most of the time, I will mix it in with a more high coverage, natural finish foundation in order to cut down some of the glow. However, it can definitely be worn alone! It looks so flawless on the skin, and seriously adds a high dimensional glow. I will oftentimes set it with the Pro-Glow powder foundation in order to keep it from creasing. Pro tip: I always apply this with a Beauty Blender for an even more perfect all-over glow.
- Tarte Double Duty Beauty Shape Tape Contour Concealer: If you haven’t heard of this concealer, you’ve been living under a rock. Tarte definitely knocked it out of the park with this one, and I’ve been obsessed since day one! It provides the ultimate coverage, and erases all signs of dark circles. I apply this underneath my eyes in an upside down triangle to lift my eye area.
- Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in Mean Money/Hu$tla Baby: I just recently picked this highlighter up, and after one use, I. WAS. HOOKED. The hype is completely deserved, ya’ll. I use the shade Hu$tla Baby, and I love it. It gives a nice, soft golden glow. It seems to be a highlight that would work with any skin tone. I always apply a little liquid highlight under this, then add a powder highlight over it. This gives a super intense and metallic highlight.
Breakdown of the steps
If all of that product recommendation sounds great, but you’re still a little lost as to how to apply…have no fear! I will give you a cheat sheet 🙂
- Cleanse the skin so that there is absolutely NO makeup on it.
- Tone with an astringent, or my favorite…witch hazel!
- Exfoliate the skin using a mask.
- Moisturize! At night, use an oil. You’ll wake up with amazing skin that will be prepared for the ultimate glow. For day time, go for something lighter.
- Apply a primer that has a built-in glow.
- Add a liquid highlighter to the tops of your cheek bones, bridge of the nose, and any other places that you want to highlight. Think of where the sun would naturally hit your face. I usually like to think of it as anywhere that you get sunburnt 😉
- Apply foundation either all over, or just in the places that you really need it. For best results, use a Beauty Blender.
- Add concealer to the under eye area, and anywhere else you feel you need to conceal.
- Apply liquid highlighter again on the places you added it before. You do not need to be heavy handed with it. A light touch works perfectly.
- Lastly, apply a powder highlight over the liquid highlighter using a fan brush. Your ring finger also works great!
That is my go-to guide for getting the perfect glow! What products do you like to use? Let me know in the comments below!