Hello, beauties! I feel like my makeup routine changes the most when summer rolls around. There’s just something about warm weather and tanned skin that makes me want to switch things up. Don’t get me wrong, I love a full coverage look, but summertime always makes me rethink that. Today’s post is going to be all about how my beauty routine switches in the summer, and how you can stay natural and glowing all summer long!
My skincare routine doesn’t change drastically over the summer, but there is a fair amount of change that takes place in the warmer months. I still make sure to cleanse my face daily, but I always add in more oils. I know, it sounds absolutely crazy to add in oils during the season that makes everyone’s skin oilier–but hear me out! Adding oils into your routine actually reverses oil production. Your skin is the only organ that heals itself, so when it needs something, it produces it all on its own. When you don’t moisturize your skin, it thinks that its dry, and in turn…pumps out more oil. Crazy right?! So adding oil into your routine can cut down your oil production significantly. Now, this isn’t something that happens overnight. You will definitely feel like a grease ball for a few days before the magic starts happening. Once your skin gets used to the oil, you can thank me later.
Another way in which my skincare routine changes isn’t from a product, but from something you can get at the grocery store. I put real, organic aloe on my skin. Not the kind that you get from Banana Boat, but an actual aloe plant. When you buy synthetic aloe from a bottle, you’re getting all of the icky synthetic ingredients and chemicals as well. Even if the bottle has the word “Natural” plastered all over it, it’s still not half as good as an actual aloe plant. I get a big stalk of it at the grocery store, cut it in half, and squeeze out all of the aloe. It’s perfect for sunburns, sensitivity, and even just everyday use. If you feel like you’re not quite ready to lather up with oil, aloe would be a good option for you!
Summer is all about effortless and glowing makeup. For me, I try to stay as natural as possible and let my tan show through. I typically will go for a tinted moisturizer, a touch of concealer, bronzer, and highlighter for the skin. I try to do as many liquid products as possible, as well. My summer highlighter is almost always a liquid, because they give such a natural and effortless glow to the skin. Going with liquid products versus powder products tend to look more natural on the skin. The whole idea of “less is more” truly is the key during the summer months.
For eyes, I keep it super simple as well. My favorite eyeshadow all summer long is bronzer. I use bronzer in the crease to define my eye shape, and it also gives such a pretty lit from within glow. On top of that, I add a highlighter to the inner corner to help brighten the eyes. This not only helps achieve that glow, but it makes your eyes look bigger as well. I will occasionally use a dark brown or black pencil liner on my lash line and blend it out with my finger. But other than that, I put on a coat of mascara and call it a day!
My brow routine does not switch up when through the seasons. I do the exact same thing–I use a super thin brow pencil to fill them in. Speaking of brows, if I did a brow routine blog, would you read it? Let me know in the comments below!
Lips are super versatile in the summer. You can do a super neutral lipstick, a bright color, or a soft gloss. Anything goes in the summer for lips, but summer really is the time to bring out your bright pinks, reds and oranges! Bright colors always look so good when you have a bit of a tan.
The Products You NEED
With all of this being said, there are some products you need to pick up ASAP if you want the perfect summer look alllll season long!
1. Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light ($48): Whenever I need to add an oil into my routine, this is the one I go for. Formulated for oily skin types, it hydrates the skin without making it feel greasy or overly oily. As an added bonus, you can use this oil on your hair, body, and face! I’ve even used it on my cuticles before. The price point may seem steep, but a whole bottle lasts anywhere from 6 months to a year, depending on how often you use it. A little goes a very long way. Mine typically lasts a year!
2. Pixi Glow Tonic ($15): This product is absolutely amazing for achieving that summer glow! This toner gently exfoliates skin while balancing your skin and adding a glow. I like to apply this with an exfoliating cotton round for even more exfoliation.
3. Glam Glow GlowStarter Moisturizer ($49): The BEST highlighting moisturizer out there. It smells so good, and it gives the perfect amount of luminosity to the skin. I wear this by itself all the time. Again, with this product, a little goes a long way.
4. Aloe (Check your local grocery store): Like I said above, I absolutely love natural aloe for many different things in the summer. It helps with sunburns, skin issues, and even hair issues too. There are a million and one uses for aloe, read this post to get the breakdown of everything aloe can do for you!
1. Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer ($45): The holy grail of ALL tinted moisturizers! You can build this up to medium coverage, or wear it super light too. It works the best with a Beauty Blender, but it works with a brush as well. Super versatile, and looks so flawless on the skin.
2. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector ($19 for size shown): This liquid highlighter makes your skin look so dewy! I will sometimes add it to my foundations for an added glow, but it seriously looks perfect on its own too. Pop this on the tops of your cheekbones for a lit from within glow.
3. Wet n Wild MegaGlo Contour Stick ($3.99): I have used so many cream bronzers, and this is BY FAR the best! It blends so well, and gives your cheek bones the perfect bronzy, defined look.
4. Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara ($23): I love the original BTS Mascara, so the waterproof version is my go-to in the summer. It doesn’t flake off, and it adds so much volume to the lashes. You shouldn’t have to worry about your mascara when you jump into the pool!
5. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in the shade Venezia ($22): This shade seriously looks AMAZING during the summer months when you have a tan. It’s a super vibrant orange color that is flattering on pretty much all skin tones. If you stay pale in the summer, I would maybe stay away from this shade. However, it gives the perfect pop of color for the warm summer months!
That is my ultimate guide to summer beauty! What are your favorite products for summertime? Let me know in the comments below, and as always…add me on all of my social media platforms. Links are to the right 🙂