Hey girl! If you couldn’t already tell, I love drugstore makeup. I love the look on my clients’ faces when I pull out one of their beloved drustore favorites. A lot of people assume that makeup artists use only high quality products, but that’s definitely not true for this makeup artist! In this post, I’m going to tell you what you should splurge on, and what you can save some coins on. This is the broke girl’s guide to beauty!
My biggest secret to saving on makeup is splurging on skincare. That might sound counterproductive, but having good skincare allows you to not have to spend so much on makeup. When your skin looks good bare, it looks good with makeup on too! I personally use Rodan + Fields for my skincare, and have noticed huge results. I’ve always been a skincare junkie, hopping from product to product, but when one of my best friends started selling it, I knew I had to support her! You can check out her link HERE! I use the Redefine Line, which targets pores, fine lines, and wrinkles. They have so many different products that help with so many different issues, which I love. (ps: I am not getting paid, nor am I getting any free product for saying any of this. It’s the 100% truth. Everything you’ve heard about this brand is TRUE!)
When it comes to primers, I’m on the fence. I religiously use a high end eye primer, because its the only thing that works for me. However, I love a good drugstore primer. At the end of the day, primer is really just a barrier between your skin and the makeup you put on it. It’s meant to help elongate the wear of your makeup, and create a flawless canvas. So for this, I’m gonna have to go with splurge.
1. Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer: The. Best. Shadow. Primer. HANDS DOWN. The 24 hour claim is no joke. It uses liquid bandage technology to lock down your shadows and make them appear more vibrant. It’s one of the only shadow primers that has ever worked for me!
2. Too Faced Shadow Insurance: This is what I use on every bride, because it waterproofs your shadows really well. I will use this if I have a less dramatic look to do, and just want to throw something on.
3. Too Faced Hangover Rx Primer: This is a face primer that is AMAZING for dry or parched skin. It hydrates with coconut milk to give you a nice soft glow while keeping your makeup locked down all day.
4. Hourglass Veil Primer: The Veil Primer is a great primer for those of us who get a little oily throughout the day. It blurs all imperfections, and tones redness down, all while combating oil throughout the day.
Foundation is a beauty product that I try my best to save on. With how many amazing dupes are on the market for foundation, it’s easy to find one for any skin concern or type. I used to spend around $60 on my old foundation, and it performed the same, if not worse than my favorite drugstore foundations!
- Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation: This foundation is amazing for a full coverage, matte look. It stays on really well, and covers every little blemish or pore.
- Revlon Color Stay Foundation: Revlon’s Color Stay comes in two formulas, one for oily skin and one for dry skin. I use the oily skin one during summer, and the dry skin one during winter. It has great medium to full coverage, and lasts really well on the skin. Plus, the shade range is insane, so you’re bound to find one that matches!
- Wet n Wild PhotoFocus HD Foundation: I am a sucker for HD foundations, because they look so good on film and in pictures. This foundation blurs pores so well and gives you a nice natural look. It’s buildable, so you can wear it sheet or super full coverage. Definitely a go-to foundation for me.
- E.L.F Flawless Finish Foundation: I have been loving this foundation when I am running errands or don’t need to worry about my makeup staying on forever. It looks gorgeous on the skin, and gives a nice healthy looking glow. However, it doesn’t stay on for more than 8 hours, so if you need something more long-wearing, try one of the other two!
This is one thing that I like to splurge on, but it’s absolutely not necessary. My favorite concealer of all time is around $25-30, but there are also some great options for $10 and less! Overall, I am up in the air about this, so I’m going to include my favorite high end and drugstore concealers so you can make the choice!
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer: The most full coverage concealer you will ever try. It blends out really nice to give you a super highlighted look without the undereye circles.
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer: The OG of undereye concealers! This concealer stays on really well, and it feels like you have nothing on underneath your eyes.
- LA Girl Pro Conceal: This concealer has a thicker consistency, but doesn’t feel thick at all. It gives you a ton of coverage, and since its HD, it looks great on camera!
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser: I love this concealer for brightening up the undereye area. It literally does what it says, and erases dark circles!
This is most definitely a save for me! I’ve talked about it tine and time again, but you can snag my favorite loose powder for about $7 at the drugstore! However, I also like to spend on pressed powders at the drugstore too! Powder for me is not something that I have found a high end version that really does it for me. I’m so glad there are amazing drugstore options that truly work and keep me non-greasy all day!
- Coty Airspun Powder: I’ve talked about this powder so much, literally click on any of my makeup blogs and read about it. I’ve written about it so much, you probably need it ASAP.
- Loreal Infallible Pro-Matter Powder: Similar to the Pro-Matte foundation, this gives you an all over matte look. I like to wear this both alone and over a foundation for more coverage. The best powder foundation hands down!
Bronzer and blush is yet again a save for me after I found the brand I mentioned below! Knowing that I can find whole palettes of both for cheaper than I can find ONE bronzer or blush is a WIN! These bronzer and blush palettes are super high quality and have an amazing shade range.
- Revolution Beauty Bronzer Palette: Their bronzer palette comes with a mix of shimmer and matte shades to give you the perfect golden glow. I love to mix all of them together for a more dimensional look.
- Revolution Beauty Blush Palette: Similarly to the bronzer palette, they have matte and shimmer shades, but the shimmers are more for highlighting. I love the mix of shades for blush!
Splurging is the way to go on highlighters. Most drugstore highlighters that I have tried tend to draw attention to my pores and imperfections, but some of my favorite high end highlighters have never done that to me! There is nothing worse than a glow product emphasizing the things you want to hide. To avoid this, spend a little bit more money to get the perfect glow!
- Becca Liquid Shimmering Skin Perfector: I love a liquid highlighter for giving a natural look, but it also looks amazing under a powder highlighter for extra glow! This liquid highlighter even looks great mixed in with your favorite foundation.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector: Just like the liquid version, it gives such a gorgeous glow! It doesn;t emphasize pores or fine lines, and there are so many different shades to choose from.
- Fenty Beauty Highlighter Duos: I have been reaching for mine a lot lately, and I love it. Just like the Becca highlighters, these highlighters don’t draw attention to pores or fine lines, but you get two for the price of one!
When it comes to eye shadow, splurge splurge splurge! Cheap eye shadows are rarely ever good, and it’s always fun to get a new palette that everyone is talking about. There are a lot of great high end options that will last you forever, and that you can do multiple looks with.
1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Soft Glam Palette: Every time ABH comes out with a new palette, it’s the only one I use for months on end. This palette is NO exception! I love the mix of glitters, shimmers, and matte shades & they blend so well!
2. Tarte Tartelette Palette: I love this palette for a super natural look. It comes with 12 matte shades that blend like a dream, and they’re so flattering on the skin. I love creating a ton of different looks with mine!
3. MAC x15 Warm Neutrals Palette: MAC is known for their eyeshadows, and for good reason! This palette has a mixture of matte and shimmer shades. I love creating smokey eyes with mine.
For me personally, I always save with eyeliners and go with a drugstore version. Whether I’m using a liquid or a pencil, I’ve found some amazing liners for super cheap that are extremely similar to high end liners. With liners, it’s important to keep allergies in mind. If you are someone who suffers from product sensitivity, splurging might be the way to go, but it’s always worth a try to save!
1. Covergirl Get in Line Liquid Liner: I have been obsessed with this liner lately! It’s super long wearing, and ultra matte. A complete and total dupe for the Make Up For Ever liquid liner!
2. Rimmel London ScandalEyes Waterproof Liner: If you’re looking for a super black eyeliner that doesn’t smudge off your face, this will be your go-to! It’s one of the blackest liners I’ve ever used, and it stays on all day!
3. NYX Epic Ink Liner: I love liners with a brush tip, because they’re super easy to use and hard to mess up. This one wears really well, and makes applying wings a breeze!
4. Maybelline Gel Liner: This is an oldie but a goodie! I love to create big wings with this liner, but it’s also amazing underneath eyeshadows to help pop the colors! If you’re a smokey eye fan like me, you’ll want to go pick this up ASAP!
This is another product that you can totally save on! There are so many amazing and cheap mascaras in the drugstore, and I’ve completely skipped high end retailers for my mascara! Whether you need a volumizing mascara or a lengthening one, there are so many different mascaras for you to choose from!
1. Loreal Voluminous Original: I’m pretty sure this is the first mascara I ever bought, and I’m still buying it to this day. I love how thick it makes my lashes, but it doesn’t make them look crazy. This is a great mascara to layer over falsies!
2. Loreal Lash Paradise: If you’re thinking that it looks a lot like a mascara you can get at Sephora, you would be correct! It’s a total dupe for the Better Than Sex mascara from Too Faced, but at a fraction of the price. It’s super volumizing, and gives you the falsies effect without glue!
3. Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara: I actually buy the brown shade of this mascara and use it as a lash primer for my black mascaras! It gives you so much volume, and makes your lashes look sky high if used as a primer!
4. Maybelline Total Temptation: If you couldn’t already tell, I love thickening mascaras, and this is another one. It has vanilla in it to nourish the lashes, and it helps to thicken and lengthen the lashes.
A few months ago, I probably would have told you to splurge, but this is a save for sure! There are so many great brow products that have been popping up at the drugstore. From pencils to gel, the drugstore has everything you need to make sure your brows are #onfleek.
- Loreal Brow Styler: This pencil is ultra thin and stays on all day long. It comes in a pretty wide range of shades, and is perfect for defining the brows.
- Soap and Glory Archery Brow Fibre Gel: Soap and Glory’s Fibre Gel seriously adds some thickness to the brow! If you have thinner brows, and want something to make them look “fluffier”, this is the perfect product.
- Maybelline Tattoo Studio Brow Gel: This brow gel is different from the one before in that it adds tint rather than thickness. If you want to set it forget it, this is a great product for you. It claims to stay on for 3 days straight. I haven’t tested the claim, so I can’t speak to it, but it does stay on forever!
- NYX Tame and Frame Brow Pomade: If you’re more of a pomade girl, this is a great product for you. It’s super similar to the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade, but for a fraction of the price.
This is another product that I’m on the fence about. I’m allllll for saving on pretty much anything, but I love the feeling of splurging on a really good lipstick. I’ve found amazing formulas and colors of both drugstore and high end lipsticks, so I really couldn’t pick!
1. Tom Ford Lipstick: This was the biggest beauty splurge of my life, and I don’t regret it for one second. These lipsticks are so creamy and so smooth. It’s definitely worth the hefty price tag!
2. Bare Minerals Gen Nude Liquid Lipsticks: I’m a sucker for liquid lips, and this is the most comfortable formula I’ve ever used. It’s a mousse texture that doesn’t wear off, which I’m a huge fan of! Plus, it doesn’t wear off!
3. NYX Lip Lingerie: These are true liquid lips. They go on velvety and dry super matte. For the price, the staying power is amazing too!
4. Milani Lipsticks: Super creamy, long-wearing, and a gorgeous shade range to top it all off. Milani hit the nail on the head with these lipsticks!
What are your favorite beauty splurges and saves? Let me know in the comments below!